[OPEN CALL] for COMPOSERS
June 5 — 9, 2023
[daily from 2-4 pm CEST], [Online] via Zoom
- 5-day online composition program
- presentations by participant composers
- rehearsals with .abeceda [new music ensemble]
- performances at .abeceda Contemporary Music Festival, and/or professional recordings
- open to composers at all stages of academic and artistic development
- instrumentation: violin (2), viola, cello, alto saxophone, flute, accordion, guitar, harp, piano; ensemble (various formations) or solo
participation fee: 500€
- apply before: April 30, 2023, via firstname.lastname@example.org; attach score or recording and CV
Members of .abeceda [new music ensemble] will be available for reading sessions with composers to optimize performance models and notation.
For specific questions on the instrumentation options, please send an e-mail.
Selected compositions will be performed at a closing concert of the .abeceda Contemporary Music Festival on June 30, 2023, in Bled, Slovenia. The remaining works will be performed or recorded in the fall of 2023.
To apply, please send the composition [score and/or recording/video] and CV to email@example.com with the subject line ‘precept.concept.percept application’.
Contact person for any additional information: Pia Reš
Selection of performed works and thoughts from past editions:
James Pecore — Knit Inside Me
Alastair White — Anti-music
“Throughout the rehearsal process of my music with ensemble .abeceda, I was thoroughly pleased. All of the musicians, engineers, and coordinators acted very professionally, producing a high quality work with the utmost level of respect for the musical material. I look forward to working with ensemble .abeceda and other such ensembles in the future as a composer.”
— James Pecore . NYC, USA
“If you're looking for somewhere to find [more] composer friends, expand your network boundaries, especially outside of the US, or somewhere to present/challenge your composition work followed by your piece getting performed, this is a great option!”
— Ramin Roshandel . Iowa, USA
“It's an amazing music workshop. It not only makes me see the diversity of world music, but also builds a platform for everyone to communicate. Hope to have the opportunity to participate again!”
— Wen Zyang. Beijing, China
5 — 9 June, 2023
Dré A. Hočevar
Zavod za kulturo Bled
Stichting .alfabet [Amsterdam, NL]
This project is supported by the Slovenian Ministry of Culture