[OPEN CALL] for COMPOSERS
July 24 — 28, 2023
[daily from 3-5 pm CEST], [Online] via Zoom
- 5-day online composition program
- presentations by participant composers
- rehearsals with .abeceda [new music ensemble]
- performances at .abeceda Contemporary Music Festival, and/or professional recordings
- open to composers at all stages of academic and artistic development
- instrumentation: violin (2), viola, cello, alto saxophone, flute, accordion, guitar, harp, piano; ensemble (various formations) or solo
- participation fee: 500€ [students: 250€]
- application fee: free
- apply before: June 30, 2023, via firstname.lastname@example.org; attach score or recording and CV
Members of .abeceda [new music ensemble] will be available for reading sessions with composers to optimize performance models and notation.
For specific questions on the instrumentation options, please send an e-mail.
Selected compositions will be performed at a closing concert of the .abeceda Contemporary Music Festival in June 2024, in Bled, Slovenia. The remaining works will be performed or recorded in the fall/winter of 2023..
To apply, please send the composition [score and/or recording/video] and CV to email@example.com with the subject line ‘precept.concept.percept application’.
Contact person for any additional information: Pia Reš
Selection of performed works and thoughts from past editions:
James Pecore — Knit Inside Me
Alastair White — Anti-music
“Throughout the rehearsal process of my music with ensemble .abeceda, I was thoroughly pleased. All of the musicians, engineers, and coordinators acted very professionally, producing a high quality work with the utmost level of respect for the musical material. I look forward to working with ensemble .abeceda and other such ensembles in the future as a composer.”
— James Pecore . NYC, USA
“If you're looking for somewhere to find [more] composer friends, expand your network boundaries, especially outside of the US, or somewhere to present/challenge your composition work followed by your piece getting performed, this is a great option!”
— Ramin Roshandel . Iowa, USA
“It's an amazing music workshop. It not only makes me see the diversity of world music, but also builds a platform for everyone to communicate. Hope to have the opportunity to participate again!”
— Wen Zyang. Beijing, China
24 — 28 July, 2023
Dré A. Hočevar
Zavod za kulturo Bled
Stichting .alfabet [Amsterdam, NL]
This project is supported by the Slovenian Ministry of Culture